Wednesday 19 August 2020

My therapist asked me stop my antidepressants : What should I do?

 This is a question that I often get: Psychiatrist prescribes antidepressants to their client and over years increase the dosage, when the client sees a counselor,  the counselor asks- But why is your psychiatrist constantly increasing your dosage? You must cut your dependency on medication. This leaves the person all confused and then some well meaning friend or a family member says - Why don't you try yoga? And, that's how I get know this story. Because the person tells me and asks- What should I do?  

This often happens to me. Now, as a certified counselor, I am certified to counsel not to prescribe medicines. I have not studied medicines. Then, how am I qualified to comment on it? So, I draw from my other qualification as a yogi and offer two questions instead:

Why two questions?

I can understand the pushback a client feels when asked to stop medication. It's confusing to have contradictory opinions. One wonders who is benefiting from these - my mental health or their business? And, we must respect other person's opinion especially when that opinion is from a qualified expert. However, respecting doesn't mean following. We can consider everyone, respect every view point and use it form our own point of view and then follow that. Here's my point of view on the subject that has served me well and my clients.

My POV:

Being positive isn't enough. Being positive shouldn't be unproductive to. We must do something about it. What we do about it must pass following tests :

The Two Questions :

1. Is my choice of method productive: Is my condition actually improving? Is it leading me to a point where I can close this chapter and move on or it is establishing me in a continuum - like a hamster on a wheel - where I am continously working.

 'Battling depression' is an empowering  phrase but is it what we want our lives to be? A battle? If we are constantly in a fight when we will have to sit back, enjoy, rejoice and create something meaningful, something fulfilling  with our lives? Don't we deserve a fulfilled life?


2. Are the results offered my method sustainable : Imagine you have a stomach bug. You take medicine for it and you feel relief. The minute the effects of that medicine wear off, you relapse. So the doctor increases the dose and this goes on and goes on. What will you do? Will you stay in that loop or will you try to break that loop and find another method through which your stomach bug can be gone for good? If we consider our mental state as any other physical illness, then shouldn't it be treated that way?


I hope this helps you in decoding a formula that works best for you. Here's a link to a method that has served my clients well, in case you're interested, you can check out here: 



No comments:

Post a Comment